Views on the News
Views on the News*
July 27, 2013
The real question is who exactly supports Barack Hussein Obama? The CNN’s president resigned last year due to the low viewership it received. Amber Lyon, former news anchor for CNN said she was ordered to report fake stories, delete unfriendly stories adverse to the Obama administration and construct stories in specific manners while working for the left-wing network. Lyon said CNN is paid by U.S. and foreign governments for reporting on some events and not reporting on others, and the Obama administration pays for CNN content. The MSNBC slogan during the election campaign happened to be “Lean Forward,” which is directly derived from the communist playbook, and their ratings can’t get any lower, attempting to remind those who do not have enough common sense to know right from wrong that Barack Hussein Obama has the support of the “majority of Americans” when nothing could be further from the truth! Remember that in the 2010 elections, 63 Democratic representatives were unseated. Remember that 70% of Obama’s Twitter followers were found to be fake accounts, created out of thin air? Remember the massive voter fraud that took place in the United States in the last election. Communist dictator Josef Stalin said, “Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.” So who supports Barack Hussein Obama? Well, the homosexuals who make up less than 1.7% of the population do. Planned Parenthood supports him only to be used as a political battering ram to eradicate human life under the guise of “choice” (which in truth is population control). Obama’s support only comes from those who are at war with our constitutional republic and those who are at war with God who gave us our rights to establish our constitutional republic. Within the United States, Obama enjoys support from the homosexuals, abortionists and communists. Outside the United States, countries like Cuba, Venezuela, China, Russia, the Muslim Brotherhood, etc., have expressed their support for Obama as well. No wonder this administration sees fit to “Lean Forward” to open the floodgates to illegal immigration. This administration does not have the support you might think they have, so do not be deceived when you have both eyes open!
(“Who is Supporting this Administration?” by Bradlee Dean dated July 19, 2013 published by American Clarion at http://www.americanclarion.com/22725/2013/07/19/who-is-supporting-this-administration/ )
The cumulative negative effect of the Obama administration's methods, actions, and ideology on the perception of the United States, both at home and abroad, becomes especially vivid when viewed in the context of a business analogy. No business can survive the purposeful destruction of its brand. In business, no corporate asset is more valued than the brand. At its heart, the brand is a promise; it represents customers' collective expectations of the firm's products and services. The American brand consists of multiple attributes which include personal liberty, equality of all citizens before the law, economic opportunity, strength in defending our values, a culture founded on historic Judeo-Christian principles, and integrity in dealing with our allies throughout the world. Built over centuries, it has been able to evolve because it is constructed on the fundamental bedrock of the Constitution and a legal/political system designed to provide checks and balances. The way that brand is being systematically destroyed by the present administration could never be tolerated in any commercial, corporate, or institutional structure:
· In the corporate world, the president is responsible for setting the corporate direction, thereby increasing value to stockholders, perpetuating and augmenting the corporate culture, and acting as the public face of the company. The Obama administration has been characterized by a decided lack of leadership at the top, as evidenced by Obama's abdicative management style, personal arrogance, and disconnect from the needs of his constituents and from critical national and international events.
· Businesses pride themselves on lean management and manufacturing, the present government has bloated itself with contrived positions, vastly increased manpower, and extravagant expense structures. From the top down, it has assembled a cast of manifestly unqualified individuals, including tax cheats, a self-professed Communist, and radical leftist ideologues, to deal with the most pressing and serious issues of our time.
· The number and extent of scandals that have emerged and continue to unfold would, in the business community, result in a wholesale housecleaning.
· When it comes to competition, the business world can be a fierce place, replete with references to armed conflict and quotes from military leaders.
· No competent executive would impair his company's access to the raw materials necessary to its processes, yet, as domestic energy prices rise and the economy declines, we see the Obama administration withholding permits for energy exploration and drilling, delaying the Keystone pipeline, and openly declaring a war on coal, while investing billions in Brazilian offshore oil explorations.
· What business executive would undertake an international tour of both friends and competitors and demean his or her company, as Obama consistently does with his endless rounds of apology?
· Like countries, businesses have alliances with other entities. Deals must be carefully honored, or the entire network stands to be weakened from mistrust. From denying previously committed defense systems to Eastern Europe to weakening our longstanding relationship with Israel, to conducting negotiations with the Taliban in the face of those allies fighting with us in Afghanistan, the administration has destroyed the value of American commitments.
· In business, no group is more important than the end customers. Every effort is made to deliver a product or service that will satisfy a target segment and build a loyalty to the brand. It is ironic that the Obama regime, which has been exposed in a drive to undertake the largest illegal gathering of private information in history, nonetheless persists in attempting to force such clearly unwanted products as ObamaCare, gun control, expanded entitlement programs, and amnesty on a customer base that has been both strident and vocal in its opposition.
· Increasingly, corporate culture is cited as a deciding factor among both prospective customers and employees. What are we to make of an administration that replaces unity with divisiveness, that stirs racial and class hatred at every opportunity, and that sees us not as one people free to differ yet united in our core beliefs, but rather as a seething nest of angry minorities, each holding the other responsible for injustices, real or imagined?
The real question is what penalties are there for those whose actions inflict such damage on a brand. If a deeply troubled business entity is to be saved, it requires a radical change of executive personnel as the first step in restoring goodwill. The corporate analogy is extremely telling, and it is worthwhile to remember that like businesses, no country is too big to fail.
(“Destroying the American Brand” by Frank Burke dated July 21, 2013 published by American thinker at http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/07/destroying_the_american_brand.html )
The great truth of the Obama phenomenon is that the President was elected by a white majority yearning to put race behind us, hoping that the First Black President would declare racial politics over, and issue a blanket pardon to all white Americans as a reward for being teacher's pets and overcoming our institutional racism to elect the First Black President, but that's not the way it's going to work at all. In reality, we discovered, the President does not adhere the Church of Let's All Just Get Along; he's a faithful member of the Church of Social Justice, Alinsky Tradition, and so is everyone else in the Obama administration. Over 100 years ago, Booker T. Washington identified "There is a class of colored people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs. There is a certain class of race-problem solvers who don't want the patient to get well." Sadly, in 2013, as evidenced by the abundance of race-peddling (post Zimmerman verdict), this "certain class of race-problem solvers" are still channeling the long-gone era of institutionalized racism to keep their jobs. In spite of the President trying to legislate the morality of his Alinskyite church, we are going to get to a post-racial society anyway, only not quite in the way we thought. Instead all Americans except white liberals and black liberal plantation slaves are going to say to themselves: "I'm Done," because they've had it up to here with race politics and they’re not going to take it anymore. Gallup found that in 2008 70% of Americans believed race relations would improve under Obama, but five years later only 48% of blacks and 31% of whites said race relations had positively progressed. George Zimmerman was acquitted by a jury, after reviewing the facts of the case, but meanwhile was convicted by the press, based on a fictitious media narrative corrupted by false assumptions, distortions, and bold-faced lies. After the Zimmerman trial, Viewpoint Florida found that 56% believed the jury got it right and 63% felt Zimmerman should not have to face federal hate crime charges. After the American people say "I'm done" the liberals' loyal African American rank-and-file will be left with their young men still in jail, their women still without husbands, their children still fatherless, still failing to learn cursive at lousy schools, and their young generation still unable to get decent jobs, let alone afford to buy their own homes. Politics is tremendous fun for the ruling elite, but not so great for the subjects camping out in the ruins of Detroit or dodging bullets in the streets of Chicago.
(“Majority Believe Race relations Worse Since Obama Took Office” by Cortney O’Brien dated July 22, 2013 published by Town Hall at http://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2013/07/22/florida-poll-majority-believe-race-relations-worse-since-obama-took-office-n1646428
“Zimmerman Verdict Revives ‘Grievance Guru’ industry” by Taleeb Starkes dated July 23, 2013 published by American Thinker at http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/07/zimmerman_verdict_revives_grievance_guru_industry.html
“We’re Done, Mr. President” by Christopher Chantrill dated July 23, 2013 published by American Thinker at http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/07/were_done_mr_president.html )
It is sad that the Zimmerman trial has been used as a major distraction to divert attention from Obama’s serial failure at home and abroad. He doesn’t want us yapping about the ubiquitous outrages he’s enmeshed in; such as the IRS, NSA, DOJ, Benghazi, bankrupt Detroit or how much ObamaCare is hated and sucks, so he embraces a serious of diversions like:
· NSA leaks reveal unprecedented domestic surveillance some say far exceeds the original intent of the Patriot Act. Feds cooped 50 communications companies to collect data on citizens. The Director of National Intelligence is accused of lying under oath.
· IRS intentionally harassed conservative groups, infringing on constitutional rights, persecuting average citizens with the inappropriate use of FBI and ATF investigators to suppress opposition voices. This scandal was connected not just to the Washington office, but to the office of the chief counsel, an Obama political appointee in the IRS.
· DOJ investigated journalists: Rosen at Fox, hundreds of editors and reporters at the Associated Press. The Attorney General is now accused of perjury.
· Serial scandals and controversies are revealed over the years at the DOJ, leaving the Attorney General looking like a criminal co-conspirator: Black Panthers cut loose after being convicted of felonies, Fast and Furious gun running resulting in hundreds of deaths, subsequent stonewalling of congressional investigators, and bungling the Boston Massacre investigation. Whistleblowers have been targeted for persecution and sanction.
The media and the masses will not only overlook the Obama scandals, but they will make him the champion who fights the “racial discrimination” in our justice system. The DOJ, one of his largest campaign contributors, has been funding the Trayvon Martin protests. In their minds, Obama is the only hope for justice for a poor victim like Trayvon Martin in such a ‘corrupt’ judicial system. Media focus drives politics, so as Don Draper, in Mad Men, says “If you don’t like what people are saying about you, change the conversation.”
(“Obama Stirs Trayvon Pot to Distract from IRS, NSA, DOJ and Benghazi Scandals” by Doug Giles dated July 21, 2013 published by Town Hall at http://townhall.com/columnists/douggiles/2013/07/21/obama-stirs-trayvon-pot-to-distract-from-irs-nsa-doj-and-benghazi-scandals-n1645536 )
Depending on who’s counting, Obama has pivoted back for the tenth or twentieth time to focus on jobs and economic growth during his five years in office. The economy has grown slowly for more than four years, with home prices, stocks, and retail sales rebounding from their lows in 2009, but GDP growth and job creation have been stagnant and look to continue at this subpar rate for years to come. Obama began his first term with massive spending programs including TARP, his “stimulus,” and ObamaCare, but these programs faltered while driving up the national debt. He spent his next four years in a series of distractions, such as gun control, women’s rights, gay rights, immigration, and climate change, hiding from his lack of positive results recovering from the recession that ended six months into his term. Obama’s second term is being gelded by a series of scandals that are inching towards the White House, and handicapping Obama’s ability to get anything else done. Now we see this “political rope-a-dope” returning to a focus on the economy, which has remained the number one concern of the American voter from the beginning of his first term. The key tactic of the Cloward-Piven strategy is to overwhelm the public with a high volume of problems and never hang around long enough to be held accountable for results. The content of Obama’s economic strategy is a revival of repackaged proposals: raising the minimum wage, offer universal pre-school education, re-inflate the mortgage bubble with financial affirmative action programs, “invest” in green energy, rebuild manufacturing, and spend more on un-named infrastructure projects - most of these programs will never see a Congressional vote. It is incredulous that he plans to use a set of speeches instead of legislative negotiations to advance his economic agenda. Obama continues to blame Republicans, Congress, and the global economy for his lack of results, but he refuses to acknowledge that he is the President and Washington’s inability to advance his agenda is HIS failure, so his continued blame-shifting is just whining by a failed President.
(“On the economy, Obama is faltering under his own terms” by Jim Tankersley dated July 22, 2013 published by The Washington Post at http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/07/22/on-the-economy-obama-is-faltering-under-his-own-terms/
“Obama Blames Five Years of a Bad Economy on ‘Phony Scandals’ and ‘Distractions’” by Katie Pavlich dated July 24, 2013 published by Town Hall at http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2013/07/24/obama-blames-five-years-of-a-bad-economy-on-phony-scandals-and-distractions-n1648117
“Obama’s Bankrupt Economic Agenda” by Matthew Vadum dated July 25, 2013 published by Front Page Magazine at http://frontpagemag.com/2013/matthew-vadum/obamas-bankrupt-economic-agenda/ )
We are constantly being told how "solid" the job market is, but unfortunately it's not. The standard unemployment rate is misleadingly low. The plunging employment-to-population ratio indicates that the real rate of unemployment is much higher than 7.6% - perhaps 10.6%. Ordinarily, during a recovery, the employment-to-population ratio actually increases as more people come off the sidelines and get jobs. June's 58.7% employment-to-population ratio is actually lower than when the recession began at the end of 2007. The BLS itself puts out several "alternative" measures of unemployment including the so-called U6 gauge which adds to ordinary unemployment those who are discouraged, part-time workers who want full-time jobs and those who are "marginally-attached" to the workforce. The more realistic U6 unemployment rate is about 14.3%, nearly two-thirds higher than when the recession began in December 2007. ObamaCare is one of the most efficient job-killers ever signed into law. Add to that record new layers of regulation, higher taxes on entrepreneurs and soaring debt that will drain capital from private enterprise for decades to come, and it's a wonder we have any job creation at all. Despite ample evidence their policies have failed, President Obama and the progressive wing of the Democrat Party plunge recklessly ahead with their plans to regulate, tax and control the economy to death. Don't believe the media's employment hype because job creation begins and ends with a healthy, profitable private sector, not with big government and welfare handouts.
(“Jobs Crisis Far Worse Than Official Data Show” dated July 19, 2013 published by Investor’s Business Daily at http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/071913-664481-unemployment-far-worse-than-official-data-official.htm)
By now almost everyone knows that the U.S. has fallen badly behind other advanced nations in the kind of health care and education it delivers to its citizens, and it is no coincidence that these two sectors have seen the worst inflation and are the very industries closely controlled by the federal government. We spend twice as much per capita than most other countries on health care and don't get better outcomes as a result. We also spend twice as much per full-time equivalent student on higher education than other OECD countries, and 38% more on elementary and secondary education with disappointing results in terms of what students know at the end of the process, according to international assessments of learning. What has been less recognized are some of the similarities between these two sectors that help to explain why they are not performing better, including:
· Fee for service instead of pay for performance – In both sectors, providers are paid based on what they deliver and not on the outcomes they produce. In education, teachers and professors are paid based on hours spent in the classroom and not based on what their students learn and in health care, providers are paid based on treatments prescribed and not on whether patients get well. The good news is that in both sectors there is an ongoing effort to link pay more closely to outcomes achieved, whether in accountable care organizations or in new ways of paying teachers based on the learning gains achieved by their students.
· Low productivity - Both sectors are labor intensive and have been largely by-passed by the technological and organizational advances that have made manufacturing, retail trade, and other sectors of American society so productive. Put differently, both sectors have been plagued by what economists call "the cost disease" - steadily rising costs necessitated by the failure of productivity in these sectors to advance as rapidly as in other sectors of the economy.
· Third-party payment - The problem of rising costs is exacerbated by the fact that consumers are largely unaware of how much their education or health care is costing and thus less likely to shop wisely. Much of the problem is related to the fact that consumers are much less well-informed than the experts or those providing services, but some is related to the fact that consumers are insulated from the costs by government subsidies or insurance policies that pay for much or all of what they consume.
· Entrenched institutional and professional interests that mitigate against change - The power of existing institutions and the people who work in them to retain the status quo makes it so difficult to improve these two sectors. Whether it is public school teachers fighting new compensation schemes tied to performance or university professors resisting the replacement of lectures with online courses or doctors preventing nurses from providing more patient care or pharmaceutical companies trying to maintain high profits with marginally better new drugs, the consumer is the ultimate loser. Another reason is the dedication to maintaining access to both education and health care even when that access raises costs without actually helping its intended beneficiaries. Community colleges have provided broad access to higher education but 70% of students in this system fail to get a degree, a certificate, or transfer to a four-year institution within six years. Medicaid and Medicare have provided access to health care for millions of low-income and elderly households, but too many of them are receiving treatments with little or no evidence of effectiveness or making lifestyle choices inconsistent with good health.
These two sectors represent one quarter of our economy. Other advanced nations spend less and get more for their money. Health care and education are vital not only to the well-being of individuals but also to the strength of the nation, and some creative destruction in these two sectors might serve us well.
(“America’s Two Most troubled Sectors: Health and Education” by Isabel Sawbill dated July 23, 2013 published by Real Clear Markets at http://www.realclearmarkets.com/articles/2013/07/23/americas_two_most_troubled_sectors_health_and_education_100498.html )
As the reality of ObamaCare emerges, a disastrous calamity imposed on the American people, even the most compliant members of the Obama fan club are beginning to panic. Virtually every justification for passage of this huge program has been disproven:
· ObamaCare will cut the cost of healthcare – Most Americans can expect sharp increases in their cost of health care;
· ObamaCare will not increase the deficit – the GAO has reported that ObamaCare will increase the long-term deficit by $6.2 trillion;
· ObamaCare will create jobs – Employers are discontinuing health care benefits and cutting worker hours to make them part-time, to avoid paying healthcare;
· “If you like your doctor, you will be able to keep your doctor” – 83% of American physicians have considered leaving their practices, creating a doctor shortage; and
· “If you like your healthcare plan, you’ll be able to keep it” – many existing healthcare plans are being canceled rather than expanded to meet new plan standards.
Three union presidents have sent Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi a scathing letter decrying ObamaCare, showing just how out-of-control this law has become. The unions are first-tier political allies of President Obama and the Democrat Party, and it was surely their last resort to put their grievances with ObamaCare in writing in the public sphere. A lot must have happened behind the scenes before they felt sufficiently frustrated with the Obama administration to take this step. As Teamster president James P. Hoffa says: ObamaCare will “destroy the 40 hour work week that is the backbone of the American middle class” and “destroy the very health and wellbeing of our members along with millions of other hardworking Americans.” The Department of Health and Human services has made a series of fumbles in their implementation attempts:
· The Community Living Assistance Services and Supports (CLASS) Act was an unaffordable Ponzi scheme that was repealed in the fall of 2011;
· The “1099 provision” that required small businesses to file a special IRS form for each transaction between businesses amounting to $600 o more was repealed;
· “Employee free choice” provision allowed certain workers to use employer contributions to buy exchange health plans, is repealed as to complex and unworkable;
· The Small Business Health Option Program (SHOP) creating a marketplace for small business health insurance plans was unavailable and “postponed”;
· The employer mandate requiring businesses to provide healthcare was “delayed” until after the 2014 election;
· Many states chose not to create their own insurance exchanges, choosing to use the Washington created federal exchange, but it is now missed deadlines;
· In 17 states, insurers are no longer selling child-only health insurance plans, because individuals may apply for coverage only after being diagnosed with a costly illness;
· The programs for individuals with pre-existing conditions is under-enrolled, but new enrollment has been halted since it is already projected to be out of money;
· Early retiree reinsurance program ran out of money two years early;
· Health insurance co-ops were piloted in several states, but Congress has defunded; and
· Medicaid expansion was optional by states, saddling them with additional, unsustainable costs, was rejected by many states.
A CBS News poll found that more Americans than ever (39%) want ObamaCare repealed. A majority of Americans (54%) disapprove of the healthcare act and 38% said they believe the law will personally “hurt them.” The goal for the White House over the next 15 months is to make sure the 2014 elections will not just be a referendum on ObamaCare. The rolling deceit is only going to get worse between now and the 2014 elections. Along with the necessity of the employer-mandate delay, hiding the unflattering facts about ObamaCare is only going to get harder as the partial implementation of the law becomes reality, and even the core constituencies of the Democrat coalition know they can’t live with or accept the blame for the disaster that is coming.
(“5 Lies the Democrats Told to Sell Obamacare” by John Hawkins dated June 4, 2013 published by Town Hall at http://townhall.com/columnists/johnhawkins/2013/06/04/5-lies-the-democrats-told-to-sell-obamacare-n1612356
“Obamacare’s Dirty Dozen Implementation Failures” by Chris Jacobs dated July 8, 2013 published by The Heritage Foundation at http://blog.heritage.org/2013/07/08/morning-bell-obamacares-dirty-dozen-implementation-failures/
“Obamacare is falling apart” by Ed Rogers dated July 19, 2013 published by The Washington Post at http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2013/07/19/the-insiders-obamacare-is-falling-apart/ )
* There is so much published each week that unless you search for it, you will miss important breaking news. I try to package the best of this information into my “Views on the News” each Saturday morning. No updates were made this week to the issue sections.