Views on the News
Views on the News*
Americans are angry these days; the polls show the rage; and there is a constant grind of self-righteous hate and finger-pointing. Almost everyone hates Congress and half the people hate the President, mostly because they are being told to do so. The greatest country in the world is right outside our door. We have the highest standard of living, the best health care, the best food, freedoms that billions of people only dream about. We can travel almost anywhere, move almost anywhere. For the vast majority of us, we are safe in our homes and public places because of the finest military and police forces on the planet. The poor among us have more than many middle class people in other countries. So many of us are confused which displays itself as anger. There is false encouragement, by people who should know better, to seek answers where there are no questions or answers. There are males, females, and something in between or neither. There are blacks who want to be white and whites who want to be black. Happiness is demanded, not from within ourselves, but from other people and things, while joy, that state of satisfaction in the midst of adversity, life's constant companion, is vastly overlooked. We are fed a constant barrage of delusionary social injustice, a sort of whispering in our ears by hateful people telling us we are being screwed somehow... almost always delivered for personal gain. Nothing seems to roll off our backs. Nothing is taken in stride. We're sold the lie that we can control everything around us. The slightest perceived inequity exasperates us. Rage has become all the rage. There is no sense of what to take seriously, no sense of proportion. We demand perfection from an imperfect world. We look for answers from the least likely to help... role models that can't figure out their own lives let alone anyone willing to listen. Big government promises more while our leaders, with all their trappings, can't find the answers any better than most of us. Turning to drugs that obscure reality has long been a false answer. That resolution for too many has been death. Government, in most cases, is not the answer. Anger does have its place, but it is an event, not a lifestyle. We have become a people that have gone off course, much like Europe that is suffocating in their incredulity, their atheism. They believe in nothing so they believe in everything. Their rejection of the Judeo-Christian God has left a void, now diligently being filled by Islam. Enough of the angry American.
(“Rage Has Become All the Rage” by Ray DiLorenzo dated July 30, 2017 published by Canada Free Press at http://canadafreepress.com/article/rage-has-become-all-the-rage )
Trump is not afraid of bullies. Somewhere along the way he learned, or someone trained him, to never be a victim. For many months, the Democrats have insisted Trump colluded with Russia to win the election. Everyone, including the Democrats, knows very well this is not true, that it was a tall tale invented by the Clinton campaign the night she lost the election. Because the Democrats and their handmaidens in the media assume the public is stupid, they thought they could pull it off. They have learned their lessons from Goebbels and Alinsky; it's all about selling the big lie. Now this false narrative is blowing up in the faces of the Democrats. As the truth begins to break through the media blockade, the fact that it has been the Democrats all along who were colluding with the Russians is becoming quite clear to a wider public. The Democrat Party, the Clinton campaign, the FBI, our intelligence agencies under Obama, have all colluded to undermine and sabotage the new President. They will not succeed as Trump long ago learned who to ignore and who to engage. He knows how not to be a casualty of orchestrated smear campaigns: fight back hard. When he fights back like the left, the left is stunned. As long as people like Charles Schumer, Nancy Pelosi, Patty Murray, Maxine Waters, Sheila Jackson Lee, Keith Ellison, Luis Gutierrez, Al Franken, John McCain, Susan Collins, etc. keep getting elected, the country will continue to be drawn into the vortex of Marxist socialism and all that it entails (think Venezuela) and the scourge of single-payer health care which is not health care at all. It is ironic that the left keeps harping about Russia, because for decades progressives revered and hoped to emulate the former USSR. Such is the blatant hypocrisy of the left. The elitists in Congress only want to feel good about themselves. They rarely follow through and discover that their lobbyist-launched votes for or against any policy have been disastrous for "the people" for whom they care not at all. There are a few Republicans: Mike Lee, Tom Cotton, Ted Cruz, Chuck Grassley, Louie Gohmert, and Trey Gowdy who are honest brokers, men who are of the actual world, not the pretend, insulated version of it. There are a few more but not nearly enough to buck the rest of them, the capitulators. The Founders would be ashamed. The loss of reverence for individual liberty and overall freedom and the left's love of statism are a betrayal of all they had achieved by 1789. The Democrats' disdain for the Constitution is heartbreaking. The DC establishment, Democrat and Republican, does not like Trump, because they are afraid of him since he is different and different scares them.
(“Trump Is Different, and Different Scares People” by Patricia McCarthy dated July 30, 2017 published by American Thinker at http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2017/07/trump_is_different__different_scares_people.html )
The civil society predates the constitutional order. Its subjugation and transformation by a voracious and an unappeasable administrative state is the true object of the progressive ideologue. The purpose of a constitution, or at least the American Constitution, is to secure politically the human harmony within the civil society so that individual liberty, equal justice, and the civil order may be nurtured and maintained. In the Declaration of Independence, the Founders proclaimed “[t]hat to secure these [unalienable] rights [to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness], Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.” They went on to say what was intolerable. The Founders were also fearful of the dangers of constant rebellion and revolution. They made clear that changing governments is a matter of the utmost seriousness, requiring wise judgment. The progressives are well aware that the declaration, and its governing expression, the Constitution, are huge impediments to their purposes inasmuch as the form of government that best reflects the values of the civil society and secures its existence is constitutional republicanism. Many doctrines of administrative-state centralization have been developed and increasingly accepted, where a select few of highly educated and specially trained governing elite oversee the operation of society. Progressives insist this is the normal evolution of government from a pioneering, revolutionary period to an increasingly complex and modern society. The supposed professional governing class with specialized expertise will presumably bring not just order to chaos but utopian-like perfection to humanity. The issues surrounding the centralized administrative state are endless. The progressives and their philosopher-kings, who have debated among themselves for decades and even centuries about the best forms of paradisiacal rule, give scant coherent or practical direction. The fact is progressives are no more capable of organizing a complex society than a complex society is capable of being organized. The progressive’s deliberate effort to denude the individual of his free will and uniqueness; to organize mankind by a growing and ubiquitous centralized authority and collective command into a conforming, uniform mass; and to reject reason and sober circumspection about true reform of the progressive project despite its many failures and dangerous boundlessness, present the markings of a nihilistic, autocratic mentality, but the disastrous consequences for the individual cannot be overstated.
(“The Liberal Elite Wants to Manage Our Lives. They Must Be Stopped.” By Mark Levin dated July 31, 2017 published by The Daily Signal at http://dailysignal.com/2017/07/31/liberal-elite-wants-manage-lives-must-stopped/ )
Early Social Security recipients were reminiscent of early investors in a Ponzi scheme, where recipients were paid off from the investments of future dupes (or victims). Social Security, a well-meaning program instituted to help seniors during their non-working retirement years, has turned into a financial nightmare for the workers of today, who are paying F.I.C.A. taxes and not expecting to collect anything when they retire. The cost has mushroomed over the years from its inception in 1935. Let’s look at Social Security benefits paid out over the years:
· 1940- $35 million
· 1950- $961 million
· 1960- $11.2 billion
· 1970- $31.9 billion
· 1980- $120.5 billion
· 1990- $247.8 billion
· 2009- $650 billion
· 2017- $955 billion and rising
You can see from those figures that the costs of paying benefits are going up precipitously and eventually the system will go broke unless some changes can be made. The tax rate set in 1935 was 2% (1% by employer and 1% by employee) on the first $3,000 of earnings. Today the rate is $12.4% on the first $127,200 of an employees taxable earnings (6.2% by employer and 6.2% by employee). In short, we’ve gone from a maximum dual contribution of $60.00 per year to a maximum dual contribution of $15,772 (which includes the medicare deduction of 1.45% for the employee and 1.45% by the employer for a total of 15.3%), and it still falls short of the funding liabilities. In 2005, the Social Security trustees estimated that the unfunded liabilities were $8.5 trillion. In 2017, the unfunded liability is $12.3 trillion. It is heading for a Bernie Madoff type financial meltdown as sure as night follows day. The estimated date of insolvency is now projected to be 2033. In 1935, the average life expectancy was 61.7 years and the retirement age to collect S/S was 65 years old. In 1940, the life expectancy was 62.9 years and 20 workers contributed to fund the retirees. In 1960, the life expectancy was 69.7 years and 5 workers were contributing to support the S/S retirees. In 2005, 3.2 workers were contributing to one retiree and the average life expectancy was then 77.8 years. So as the “pot” of retirees keep expanding while the supply of investors (workers) keeps on declining. This year, 10 million more “Baby Boomers” will begin to retire which will cause the senior population to double in the next decades, while the number of employees paying F.I.C.A taxes will either remain constant or decrease. There will not be enough workers to pay for these new retirees unless we do something and soon. Just like the schemes of Charles Ponzi and Bernie Madoff, the pool of new investors (workers) will not be enough to pay off the previous investors and the whole thing will come tumbling down like a house of cards. Ponzi and Madoff went to prison, but our lawmakers get re-elected for doing the same thing. In 2005, President Bush, with the recommendation of two prominent Democrats, Daniel Patrick Moynihan and John Breaux, tried to institute a “partial” privatization of Social Security. The plan was shot down by the Democrats who demagogued the plan as being “too risky” and a boon to the Wall Street tycoons. The plan was that a person paying F.I.C.A. taxes would be able to put aside 4% of his contributions into a private account that he would own and be able to leave for his heirs when he died. The plan, as proposed, was optional and anybody who opted out for the present Social Security setup would be able to do so. Any young worker today, with any economic common sense, would jump at the opportunity. Our Social Security system will be going into bankruptcy in a few short years leaving our children and grandchildren high and dry unless Social Security taxes are precipitously raised to meet the commitment we made to them.
(“Is Social Security a Viable Program or just another Ponzi Scheme?” by Chuck Lehmann dated July 30, 2017 published by Canada Free Press at http://canadafreepress.com/article/is-social-security-a-viable-program-or-just-another-ponzi-scheme )
In his speech in Warsaw, President Trump pledged America to the “defense of civilization itself.” He described a Trump doctrine, based on bonds of culture, faith and tradition. By referring to the spiritual foundations of Western civilization, the President echoes our collective civilized humanity: The laws and culture that undergird western civilization. During World War II, Winston Churchill declared that we were fighting to defend “Christian civilization.” When this statement was criticized by detractors as narrowly ethnographic, he defended his position by noting what separates our civilization from others is the protection of individual rights, the rule of law, free markets and freedom of conscience. President Trump has taken up its mantle just as so many in the West and elsewhere reject it. He asks in Churchillian language whether the West has the will to survive. Admittedly the core of liberalism Trump represents has undergone progressive debasement. Trump’s assertions are certainly welcome since they are a needed antidote to the cynicism now afflicting parts of the West. The progressive left bristles at the talk of God and country and any positive references to Western civilization. Notwithstanding the herd of critics, this civilization spread its culture throughout the world, and where it has gained traction, contributed to the advancement of liberty and prosperity. What is the real threat to constitutional democracy lies in the soul of the anti-Christian, anti-nationalist movement that rages as a contagion in the West. If Trump struck a responsive chord, it is because the globalist position has not been challenged till now. Whether this Trump doctrine manifests itself in policy decisions remains to be seen, but there is little doubt this stance is a significant departure from Obama’s rhetoric and a version of a patriotic sentiment interred by the panjandrums of a brave new world. President Trump will not silence the progressive Left eager to delegitimize his Presidency, but he has certainly thrown down the challenge that the West is best and the U.S. will defend the interest of God and country against the barbarians at the gate.
(“The ‘Trump Doctrine’ is the anecdote to moderncCynicism” by Herbert London dated July 30, 2017 published by The Hill at http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/the-administration/344470-trumps-defense-of-the-west-a-much-needed-antidote-to )
During the Obama administration, half a million Christians, Yazidis and Muslims were slaughtered in the Middle East by ISIS and other Islamic jihadists. Twenty million others were driven into exile by these same jihadist forces. Libya and Yemen became terrorist states. America, once the dominant foreign power and anti-jihadist presence in the region, was replaced by Russia, an ally of the monster regimes in Syria and Iran, and their terrorist proxies. Under the Obama administration, Iran, the largest and most dangerous terrorist state, with the blood of thousands of Americans on its hands emerged from its isolation as a pariah state to re-enter the community of nations and become the region’s dominant power, arming and directing its terrorist proxies in Lebanon, Syria, Gaza and Yemen. These disasters are a direct consequence of the policies of appeasement and retreat of the Obama administration. This is a reflection of the Democrat’s long-standing resistance to the War on Terror, and its sabotage of George Bush’s efforts to enforce 17 UN Security Council resolutions in Iraq, designed to maintain international order and peace in the Middle East:
· The primary cause of the disasters in the Middle East is the Democrat Party’s sabotage of the War in Iraq. Democrats first voted to authorize the armed overthrow of Iraq’s terror regime but within three months of its inception reversed their position and declared the war “immoral, illegal & unnecessary.” The reason for the Democrats’ reversal on the war had nothing to do with the war itself or the so-called absence of weapons of mass destruction, but was rather a political response to the fact that an anti-war Democrat, Howard Dean, was running away with their presidential nomination. They forgot that the war was about Saddam’s defiance of 17 UN Security Council resolutions, and refusal to allow the UN inspectors to carry out their efforts to ascertain whether he had destroyed his nuclear and chemical arsenals. Beginning in June 2003, Democrats began claiming, falsely, that Bush had lied to secure their support for the war. “Bush lied, people died,” became the left’s slogan to cripple the war effort. This false narrative began what became a five-year campaign to demonize America’s commander-in-chief and undermine his efforts to subdue the terrorists and pacify the region. The Democrats’ anti-war crusade climaxed with the election of Barack Obama, a leftwing activist and vocal opponent of the war, and of the majority of Senate Democrats who voted for it. At the time of Obama’s election, America and its allies had won the war and subdued the terrorists by turning the Sunnis in Anbar province against them. The new commander-in-chief refused to use American forces to secure the peace, and instead set out to withdraw all American military personnel from Iraq. This was a fatal step that created a power vacuum, which was quickly filled by Iran and ISIS. Obama’s generals had advised him to maintain a post-war force of 20,000 troops in country along with the military base America had built in Baghdad. Obama had made military withdrawal the centerpiece of his foreign policy and ignored his national security team’s advice. Had he not done so, American forces would have been able to effectively destroy ISIS at its birth, saving more than 500,000 lives and avoiding the creation of nearly 20 million refugees in Syria and Iraq. Instead of protecting Iraq and the region from the Islamic terrorists, Obama surrendered the peace, turning Iraq over to Iran and the terrorists, and betraying every American and Iraqi who had given their lives to keep them out. The message of the Obama White House, to be repeated through all eight years, was that America was the disturber of the peace, and not “radical Islamic terrorism.” He even removed the phrase “war on terror” from all official statements and replaced it with “overseas contingency operations.”
· Second among the causes of the Middle East’s human tragedy was Obama’s support for the Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad whom his secretaries of state, Clinton and Kerry both endorsed as a democratic reformer on the very eve of his savage war against his own people. This was followed by Obama’s refusal to enforce the red line he drew to prevent Assad from using chemical weapons on the Syrian population. When Assad did use them, Obama averted his eyes and papered over his culpability by arranging a phony deal with Russia to remove Assad’s chemical arsenal. Six years later, Assad again used chemical weapons on Syrian civilians, exposing Obama’s ruse. This capitulation to the Syrian tyrant was a powerful reiteration of Obama’s signature message: The U.S. is the problem and is therefore committed to taking itself out of the picture. In other words, anti-American dictators and genocidal maniacs in the Middle East can have their way.
· The third cause of the Middle Eastern morass was Obama’s failure, early on in his Obama administration, to support the green revolution in Iran, when its brave citizens poured into the streets in 2009 to protest a rigged election and the totalitarian regime. Obama’s silence was in effect support for the Jew-hating and America-hating regime, into whose ruling group Secretary of State Kerry’s daughter soon married. Obama’s betrayal of the Iranian people was a reiteration of his signature message to the region: America no longer cares to support freedom, and is willing to support its enemies, even those who kill Americans in the name of Islam.
· The fourth cause of the Middle Eastern morass was Obama’s intervention in Egypt, his overthrow of an American ally, Hosni Mubarak, and his open support for the Muslim Brotherhood, the spawner of al-Qaeda and Hamas and the chief sponsor of the Islamic jihad against the West. Obama’s support for the Brotherhood was so strong that when it was overthrown by the Egyptian military following massive protests of the Egyptian people, the White House opposed the new regime of the pro-American General, Abdel Fattah el-Sisi. Through these policies, Obama alienated America’s most important Arab ally in the Middle East and opened the door to Russia’s influence in the region, and to the Kremlin’s alliance with its most barbaric regimes, Syria and Iran.
· The fifth cause of the terrorist upsurge that has shattered the peace of the Middle East was Obama’s unauthorized, illegal intervention in Libya and murder of its ruler Gaddafi, a ruthless dictator no doubt, but a dedicated enemy of al-Qaeda with whom he was actively at war. The result of this naked American aggression, whose chief advocates were Hillary Clinton and Samantha Power, was a Libya devoured by the terrorist wolves who now rule it, a failed state and a haven for bloodthirsty savages of al-Qaeda and ISIS.
· The sixth reason the Middle East is now in flames is Obama’s policy of what he calls “strategic patience” but is in effect strategic cowardice. Obama’s failure to act decisively against ISIS allowed the Islamic State to become the largest terrorist force ever, and to provide its armed missionaries with a free hand to destroy the oldest Christian community in the world in Iraq, exterminating 200,000 members of the faith, while driving many more into exile. By way of contrast and showing what the Obama White House could have done, sixth months into the Trump administration, the ISIS stronghold of Mosul is liberated and Raqqa is about to fall, spelling the end of the Islamic State. The blood of those slaughtered Christians, as well as the Yazidis and Muslims, is squarely on the head of Obama and his White House enablers, the Democrats and the Democrats’ kept press.
· The seventh cause of the humanitarian crisis in the Middle East, and the one with the most long-lasting consequences, is Obama’s embrace of the terrorist regime in Iran. Iran has killed more Americans than any other enemy of this country. Its kill list goes back to the Marine bombing of 1983 and includes the supply of every I.E.D. in Iraq used to blow up several thousand American soldiers. Obama built his entire Middle East policy around the so-called “deal” with Iran, which provides that nation with a path to nuclear weapons, and has no realistic inspection or enforcement mechanisms. The “Iran deal” lifted the sanctions that had been placed on a regime whose leaders were so openly contemptuous of Obama that they led chants of “Death to America” in the middle of the negotiations. The Iran deal brought America’s mortal enemy out of international isolation, provided it with the opportunity to acquire nuclear weapons, turned a blind eye to its ballistic missile development and stuffed its war chest with $200 billion in cash payments used to fund its weapons programs, and to support terrorist armies, including Hizbollah, Hamas and the Yemenite Houthis, busy creating havoc throughout the Middle East.
The Obama regime’s role in the human disasters in the Middle East is a warning about what happens when American leaders sympathize with our enemies, hamstring our armed forces and abandon our responsibilities to help maintain the peace and defend freedom in a fractious, authoritarian and bloody-minded world. The Obama administration’s enabling of the most barbaric forces in the Middle East is a national disgrace, and the most shameful episode in America’s post-World War II experience. The path to rectifying these disasters and to stopping Islamic genocides of “infidels” in the Middle East, is first of all to restore America’s active presence in the region, taking a firm stance against radical Islamic terrorism. This is an effort which, thankfully, the Trump administration has already begun. Second, it is to make America’s policy firmly and consistently anti-terrorist, which the Trump administration has not yet done. This would mean cutting off all funds to the terrorist Palestinian Authority and the Hamas government in Gaza, and halting all “peace” negotiations until the Palestinians renounce terror and support Israel’s right to exist. Despite its human weaknesses and flaws, America is still the only great power in the world today that cares about human dignity and decency and has the wherewithal to defend them and the peace.
(“The Root Cause of the Disasters in the Middle East” by David Horowitz dated July 31, 2017 published by Front Page Magazine at http://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/267429/root-cause-disasters-middle-east-david-horowitz )
There is so much published each week that unless you search for it, you will miss important breaking news. I try to package the best of this information into my “Views on the News” each Saturday morning. No updates have been made this week to the issue sections.