Return to Common Sense
September 24, 2013
Section: Culture – Abortion
“Abortion is truly an issue of choice: choice to have unprotected sex, choice to risk unwanted pregnancy, and choice on what to do with the newborn baby – abortion is not a choice, it is murder of a defenseless human life.”
“If we accept that a mother can kill even her own child, how can we tell other people to not kill each other? Any country that accepts abortion is not teaching its people to love, but to use any violence to get what they want.” Mother Teresa.
Philosophy (Background, Issues, Objectives):
Birth control is readily available today.
- Margaret Sanger (1879 – 1966) was an American birth control activist and the founder of the American Birth Control League (which eventually became Planned Parenthood).
o Advocates of birth control have expanded the concept of eugenics to include abortion.
o Margaret Sanger was a racist and an ardent eugenicist who viewed birth control as simply a way to reduce the fecundity of those she considered undesirables: immigrant Jews, Poles, Hungarians, Italians, and others from central and southern Europe.
- Male and female birth control options available.
- Contraception has had its own unintended consequences.
o Availability of contraception does not reduce unintended pregnancies.
o More pregnancies result from contraception failing in predictable percentages.
o Declines in teen pregnancies is not caused by contraception, but by delayed sexual activity.
- Abortion has been used as after-the-fact birth control.
Roe vs. Wade (1973) had some unintended consequences:
· Prior to that case, abortion was regulated by each state, and most of them prohibited it unless two physicians could certify that the baby growing in the mother's womb would likely result in the death of the mother.
o Even the states that permitted abortions when the pregnancy was caused by rape or incest, an extremely rare occurrence, did not permit it after the sixth month of pregnancy.
o Roe vs. Wade permits abortions in all 50 states during the first three months of pregnancy for any reason or for no reason.
o Roe vs. Wade permits abortions during the second three months of pregnancy for the “health of the mother,” which can mean mental health; thus, most states have taken the liberal position that if a continued pregnancy would make the mom sad or challenge her psychologically, or if she has second thoughts about the pregnancy, the baby may be aborted.
o Roe vs. Wade also permits the states to prohibit or to allow abortions during the last three months of pregnancy, and most states prohibit all abortions during the final three months, as this is the period of viability; when the baby can live outside the mother's womb.
- The unintended consequences changed the American culture.
o A sharp increase in pre-marital sex.
o A sharp rise in out-of-wedlock births.
o A drop in the number of children placed in adoption.
o A decline in marriages that occur after the woman is pregnant.
Current abortions consider fetus as not human.
- There are multiple types of abortion hidden by deceptive euphemism:
o D&C abortion - slicing babies apart in the womb.
o Saline Amniocentesis abortion - feeding them saline poison which burns them to death.
o D&X abortion - extracting them in pieces by tearing off body parts and reassembling them outside the womb.
o Hysterectomy abortion - performing a C-section and either leaving them aside to die from neglect or else suffocating them.
o Suction Aspiration abortion - using a device which vacuums them out of the womb in pieces.
o D&E (Partial Birth) abortion - partially delivering them, ripping their heads open with a sharp object, then vacuuming their brains out of the skull.
- 38 states have a law that allows murder charges against someone accused of killing a viable fetus.
- Since Roe vs. Wade there were been more than 48.5 million abortions.
o One out of every four children conceived in America will be killed by an abortionist.
o Planned Parenthood clinics performed 305,310 abortions in 2007 (4.8 million since 1977).
- Mother’s choice is only right considered in abortion decision.
o Early abortions terminate non-viable fetuses.
o Many women are regretting abortion decision as a “choice-less choice.”
- Genetic screening is used by some to euthanize fetuses with congenital defects.
o 90% of fetuses found to have Downs syndrome are aborted in America.
§ Vast majority of early screen Down Syndrome “positives” turn out to be false.
o 40% of unborn children in Europe with one of 11 congenital defects don’t make it to birth.
- Late, partial birth abortions terminate viable baby at birth.
Abortion discussion is obfuscated by the use of confusing language
- Pro-choice vs. Pro-abortion.
- Fetus vs. Unborn.
- Mother’s rights vs. Baby’s rights.
- Right to privacy vs. Right to life.
- “Disarticulate the fetus” or “separate the fetal calvarium” disguises partial birth abortion.
Public opinion is muddled on the abortion issue.
- In USA Today survey 53% or respondents identified themselves as pro-choice vs. 42% pro-life.
- 65% of pro-choice people believe restrictions on abortion should be more stringent; 27% abortion on demand, regardless of reason.
- Pew Research finds 66% of respondents believe abortion should be limited to cases of rape, incest, threat to life or illegal altogether.
- Less than 10% of abortions represent cases of rape, incest, or endangered mothers life.
- AGI study found 67% chose abortion simply because they did not want the inconvenience of a baby.
- 46.4% made no conscious effort to avoid unwanted pregnancy.s
- Planned Parenthood has received nearly $810 million in government grants and contracts.
o Planned Parenthood received $300 million from the federal government in 2007.
o Federal law prohibits federal dollars being used for abortions.
o Planned Parenthood had a record $1.014 billion profit in 2007.
Designer abortions are being used to pick the desired sex of the baby.
- Only four countries allow women to get an abortions for any reason after viability.
o United States, Canada, China, North Korea
- China’s One Child Policy has caused only 832 girls per 1000 boys, according to UNICEF.
- India value male children more causing abortions of many female children.
- Modern day eugenics has resulted in a demographic disaster.
European abortion advocates are considering extending abortion right beyond birth.
- Late, partial birth abortions terminate viable baby at birth.
- One of British royal medical colleges is advocating euthanasia for seriously disabled newborn babies.
- Margaret Sanger founded Planned Parenthood based on euthanasia.
Stem Cell research also muddles the abortion discussion if you believe life begins at conception.
- Adult stem cell (ASC) research has resulted in medical improvements for multiple chronic diseases.
o Adult Stem Cells (ASCs) have over 30 anti-cancer uses, along with seventy-three known success stories in treating diseases, but do not destroy life.
o As of April 2007, adult stem cells research had produced treatments for approximately 26 types of cancers, 19 auto-immune diseases, 2 cardiovascular and 1 ocular problems, 3 immunodeficiencies, 3 neural degenerative diseases and injuries, 10 anemias and other blood conditions, 4 wounds and injuries, 5 different metabolic disorders, 2 types of liver disease, and 1 bladder disease.
o Adult stem cell research is funded by the federal government.
o Somatic cell reprogramming has shown promise chemically changing adult cells to function like embryonic.
- Recent discovery manipulated human skin cells to act as embryonic stem cells
- Amniotic fluid stem cell (AFSC) research has found stem cells in amniotic fluid.
- Embryonic stem cell (ESC) research has not shown any progress in any diseases.
o There is little, if any, venture capital money being invested in embryonic stem cell research.
o Embryonic stem cells are fetus bred and harvested for experimentation.
o Embryonic stem cells can be harvested from cloned embryos.
- Human cloning has been outlawed in many states.
Abortion support is eroding across the country.
- A 2011 Gallup Poll found that 87% of Americans support laws that require abortion practitioners to inform women of the risks associated with an abortion before performing them.
o 71% of Americans support parental consent for adolescent abortions.
o 69% of Americans support 24-hour waiting periods.
o Gallup found that significant majorities of self-described “pro-choice” Americans favor basic restrictions on abortion, including informed consent, a ban on partial-birth abortion, parental consent for minors, 24-hour waiting periods, and ending third-trimester abortions.
o A majority of “pro-choice” advocates support a second-trimester abortion ban.
- Few Americans want to be associated with abortion.
- The share of Americans who consider themselves “pro-life” has increased from 33% in 1996 to 45% in 2011.
- The percentage of “pro-choice” Americans has dropped from 56 percent in 1996 to 49 percent in 2011.
- The abortion industry is struggling to attract medical professionals willing to perform or participate in abortions.
- A significant minority of Americans (39%, according to a May 2011 Gallup Poll) think abortion is “morally acceptable.”
- Numerous polls show that young Americans comprise the most pro-life generation ever.
Both parents and child have rights.
- Mother has right to carry fetus until birth.
- Father must have say in child’s future.
- Fetus is sensient being whose viability increases with time.
- Living beings have rights under our Constitution.
Life begins at conception.
- Mother and father are responsible for their sexual actions.
- Rape causes unwanted conception.
- Legal abortion can only be done in first trimester.
- Illegal abortion is defined as murder of unborn by mother and doctor.
Short Term, Stop funding abortion with government money.
- Stop federal funding for Planned Parenthood.
- Streamline adoption process for unwanted babies.
Fund stem cell research that yields medical benefits without destroying life in the process.
- Fund adult stem cell (ASC) research and its proven medical benefits.
o Fund research in “somatic cell reprogramming” of adult stem cells.
o Fund amniotic fluid stem cell (AFSC) research to prove its medical benefits.
- Repeal funding for embryonic stem cell (ESC) research since it requires destroying embryos for medical research.
Outlaw cloning as unethical and immoral.
· Outlaw creation of “inter-species” embryos.
Long Term, Outlaw abortion except in extreme circumstances (incest, rape, or to save the life of the mother).
- Redefine life as beginning at conception in the womb.
- Let the states implement local initiatives.
“The Third Victim of Abortion” by Nathan Tabor dated April 14, 2005 published by Renew America at http://www.renewamerica.us/columns/tabor/050413 .
“Abortion in America, It’s all in how you frame the question…” by J.B. Williams dated January 24, 2006 published by American Daily at http://americandaily.com/article/11436 .
“Science’s Stem-Cell Scam” by Michael Frumento dated July 18, 2006 published by National Review Online at http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=YjliM2MwZTU1MzI5NTc2ZWFhNTE1NmMwNzNhZDA3MGM= .
“Getting It Wrong: How the New York Times Misinterprets Abortion Statistics and Arrives at Incorrect Conclusions” by Michael J. New dated July 18, 2006 published by The Heritage Foundation on http://www.heritage.org/Research/Family/cda06-05.cfm .
“PETA: Sacrifice Human, Not Animal Life for Medical Research” by Steven Milloy dated July 20, 2006 published by Fox News at http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,204753,00.html .
“A Little Truth in Stem Cell Debate, Please” by Michael Reagan dated October 27, 2006 published by News Max at http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2006/10/27/114200.shtml .
“Why are we paying for Planned Parenthood” by Jay Sekulow dated October 30, 2006 published by Town Hall at http://www.townhall.com/columnists/JaySekulow/2006/10/30/why_are_we_paying_for_planned_parenthood .
“You Don’t Need a Weatherman” by Douglas Johnson dated November 8, 2006 published by National Review Online at http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=NDc2Y2UyNTczOGFkNjJiMzNlZTM2MjMwZjFhYTQ4MDM .
“The Slippery Slope” by Tom Brewton dated November 10, 2006 published by American Daily at http://americandaily.com/article/16420 .
“Morally Velocitized” by Greg Kouki dated November 13, 2006 published by Town Hall at http://www.townhall.com/columnists/GregKoukl/2006/11/13/morally_velocitized .
“The Election Revealed Hidden Diversity on Both Sides of the Abortion Debate” by Jacob Sullum dated November 15, 2006 published by Human Events Online at http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=18055 .
“Protect Life from Conception Until Natural Death” by Gary Bauer dated November 20, 2006 published by Human Events Online at http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=18121 .
“Abortion Movement’s New Antagonist: The Post-Abortive Woman” by Janice Shaw Crouse dated November 27, 2006 published by Human Events Online at http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=18198 .
“The Confusing Moral Logic of ESCR” by Gregory Koukl dated January 10, 2007 published by Town Hall at http://www.townhall.com/columnists/column.aspx?UrlTitle=the_confusing_moral_logic_of_escr&ns=GregoryKoukl&dt=01/10/2007&page=1 .
“An Unreal Debate” by Yuval Levin dated January 10, 2007 published by Free Republic at http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1765476/posts?page=6 .
“Bush’s Historic Veto” by Charles Krauthammer dated January 12, 2007 published by National Review Online at http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=MDY3OTMzZGRjNWIzMGEyYmEzZDQwOWU4YjczNmQ5M2U= .
“Amniotic Stem Cells a Liberal Godsend” by Kevin Roeten dated January 13, 2007 published by American daily at http://www.americandaily.com/article/17214 .
“The Rise of Stem Cell Research” by Ronald Bailey dated January 19, 2007 published by Reason Magazine at http://www.reason.com/news/show/118069.html .
“From Honest Arrogance to Brutal Complacence” by Gary McCaleb dated January 22, 2007 published by Town Hall at http://www.townhall.com/columnists/GaryMcCaleb/2007/01/22/from_honest_arrogance_to_brutal_complacence .
“The Confusing Moral Logic of ESCR III” by Gregory Koukl dated January 24, 2007 published by Town Hall at http://www.townhall.com/columnists/GregoryKoukl/2007/01/24/the_confusing_moral_logic_of_escr_part_iii .
“An Easy Cell” by Michael Fragoso dated January 29, 2007 published by American Magazine at http://www.american.com/archive/2007/january-0107/an-easy-cell/ .
“God Bless America?” by Phillip V. Brennan dated January 30, 2007 published by News Max at http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2007/1/30/110407.shtml .
“Adult Stem Cells Wars” by Michael Fumento dated March 1, 2007 published by American Spectator at http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=11086 .
“Feminist Eugenics” by Carey Roberts dated March 7, 2007 published by American Daily at http://www.americandaily.com/article/17907 .
“Nascent Falsehood” by David Freddoso dated April 2, 2007 published by National Review Online at http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=NWIyMjNmODVlMTQ5OTM0MjFmZTk2YmEyMzlmZDcyOTA= .
“A Supreme Test of Human Sanity” by Kathleen Parker dated April 20, 2007 published by Real Clear Politics at http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2007/04/a_supreme_test_of_human_sanity.html .
“Adult Approaches” by Michael Fumento dated May 22, 2007 published by The American Spectator at http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=11475 .
“Real Stem-Cell News” by Yuval Levin dated June 6, 2007 published by National Review Online at http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=NjFhN2MzNGE0ZjNkYWFjZjhhMzMxZGE5YzY2OTNmNGI= .
“It’s Not Enough to be Wanted” by John R. Lott Jr. dated June 19, 2007 published by The Wall Street Journal at http://www.opinionjournal.com/forms/printThis.html?id=110010227 .
“Getting Beyond Roe” by Radley Balko dated August/September 2007 published by Reason Online at http://www.reason.com/news/printer/120792.html .
“Monkeying With Man” by Terence Jeffrey dated August 15, 2007 published by Town Hall at http://www.townhall.com/columnists/TerenceJeffrey/2007/08/15/monkeying_with_man .
“The Eugenics Temptation” by Michael Gerson dated October 24, 2007 published by Real Clear Politics at http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2007/10/equality_over_perfection.html .
“Abortion at heart of stem-cell debate” by John Kass dated November 25, 2007 published by Chicago Tribune at http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-kass_25_bd_nov25,0,4913276,print.column?coll=chi_tab05_layout .
“Stem Cell Vindication For Bush” by Charles Krauthammer dated November 30, 2007 published by Real Clear Politics at http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2007/11/stem_cell_vindication_for_bush.html .
“Stem Cells and the President – An Inside Account” by Jay P. Lefkowitz dated January 2008 published by Commentary Magazine at http://www.commentarymagazine.com/viewarticle.cfm/Stem-Cells-and-the-President-br--An-Inside-Account-11024 .
“Anniversary Marks Deaths of Millions” by Ken Connor dated January 27, 2008 published by Town Hall at http://www.townhall.com/columnists/KenConnor/2008/01/27/anniversary_marks_deaths_of_millions .
“Defending Life and Dignity” by Leon R. Kass dated February 19, 2008 published by American Enterprise Institute at http://www.aei.org/publications/pubID.27535,filter.all/pub_detail.asp .
“Eugenics Still Being Accomplished” by Kevin Roeten dated September 19, 2008 published by American Daily at http://www.americandaily.com/article/23159 .
“Take a Side on Embryonic Stem Cells” by Kevin Roeten dated November 30, 2008 published by American Daily at http://www.americandaily.com/article/23658 .
“Perpetuating a Needless Stem-Cell War” by Ryan T. Anderson dated March 9, 2009 published by The Weekly Standard at http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/016/258hdaij.asp .
“Destroying human life for the ‘greater good’” by Chris Banescu dated March 17, 2009 published by American Thinker at http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/03/obama_and_destroying_human_lif.html .
“Planned Parenthood’s Annual Report Shows Record Profits, More Abortions” by Penny Starr dated April 13, 2009 published by Cybercast News Service at http://cnsnews.com/public/Content/Article.aspx?rsrcid=46449 .
“Playing Politics with Stem Cells” by Gene Tarne and David Prentice dated August 8, 2010 published by American Thinker at http://www.americanthinker.com/2010/08/playing_politics_with_stem_cel.html .
“On Liberty and Abortion” by Andrew Klaven dated July 11, 2011 published by Pajamas Media at http://pajamasmedia.com/andrewklavan/2011/07/11/on-liberty-and-abortion/ .
“Maryland Abortion Doctors Charged with Murder” by Ben Nuckols dated December 30, 2011 published by Cybercast News Service at http://cnsnews.com/news/article/maryland-abortion-doctors-charged-murder .
“The quiet triumph of life” by Gary Bauer dated January 23, 2012 published by Human Events at http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=48960 .
“The False Promise of Contraception” by Keith Riler dated February 16, 2012 published by American Thinker at http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/02/the_false_promise_of_contraception.html .
“The Forgotten Solution to the Abortion Debate” by Keith Riler dated July 8, 2012 published by American Thinker at http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/07/the_forgotten_solution_to_the_abortion_debate.html .
“Abortion, the Economy, and the 2012 Election” by Michael O’Halloran dated July 8, 2012 published by American Thinker at http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/07/abortion_the_economy_and_the_2012_election.html .
“Which Babies Should Get the Death Sentence?” by Terrence P. Jeffrey dated August 22, 2012 published by Cybercast News Service at http://cnsnews.com/blog/terence-p-jeffrey/which-babies-should-get-death-sentence .
“Freedom of choice is a basic right, as long as you accept the consequences” by David Coughlin dated October 13, 2012 published by Intellectual Conservative at http://intellectualconservative.com/index.php/freedom-of-choice-is-a
“A New Understanding of the Trauma of Abortion” by Charles T. Kenny and Paul Swope dated February 22, 2013 published by American Thinker at http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/02/a_new_understanding_of_the_trauma_of_abortion.html .
“The Ugly, Unknown Story Behind Roe vs. Wade” by Scottie Hughes dated September 24, 2013 published by Town Hall at http://townhall.com/columnists/scottiehughes/2013/09/24/the-ugly-unknown-story-behind-roe-v-wade-n1707669 .